AN INTENTIONAL NEW YEAR
The New Year is a fresh start and a wonderful opportunity to check in with yourself, where you’ve been and where you’d like to go. Here are some good things to write about and consider that can help you process 2022 and set yourself up for an intentional 2023.
- What were 3 highlights of the year?
- What were 3 lowlights of the year?
- Choose 3 words to encapsulate the year for you.
- How did 2022 change you?
- Make a list of the books you read, movies & shows you saw, and trips you took.
- Choose a word that you would like to represent the upcoming year.
- As you go into 2023 what values are most important to you?
- What goals or habits would you like to pursue in 2023? Your goals and intentions can be powerful if they are written with specificity and worded in a way that will be easy to assess your progress at the end of the year instead of your absolute success.
For example, instead of “Stop being codependent.” try “Invest in learning how to break my codependent tendencies by reading the books: Codependent No More and How to Do the Work and become stronger in my ability to surrender what is not mine.”
Another example: instead of “Set healthy boundaries.” try “Communicate my need for personal space more often by saying No to the things that drain my time, energy and resources.”
Great Journals, Books, and Experiences to bring into the New Year with You
- Get Untamed: The Journal by Glennon Doyle
- The Five-Minute Journal by Intelligent Change | A game changer that is a small time investment but pays in dividends; it really helps you to have good days.
- Productivity Planner by Intelligent Change | Get clear on what needs to be done and what needs to wait. If everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.
- Shinola Journals | I love writing in these journals... the embossed linen feels special, the lines are narrow, and it lies flat when open so it’s comfortable writing on both sides of the page.
- Moon Lists | If you want to write but the idea of a daily commitment feels too burdensome, Moon Lists offer a thoughtful way to check-in weekly and round-up your month.
- The Indwell Guide | A beautiful guide to inner wellness.
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle | If you haven’t read it yet, Untamed is a must for giving yourself permission to build your most beautiful life. What does that mean? Read or listen and find out, you will be changed by this book.
- The Well Lived Woman Workshops & Events | Gather, Grow, Connect
- The Well Lived Woman Group | Special protected time for self care and learning alongside meaningful connection.
- Blue Sky Black Sheep Writing Circles | The benefits of writing are many including helping to process our inner lives and capturing some part of ourselves to return to. These writing circles help with accountability and inspiration, making your writing habit come to life.
- A trip to We Care Spa for the mental and physical detox experience of a lifetime. A complete re-education on how to take care of your body. Splurgy but incredibly worth it.
- The Values Deck | A powerful tool for self reflection. Your values change from time to time, so get clear on what you value most now so you can build your year to reflect your highest priorities.
WE WOULD ALL HAVE A BETTER 2023 IF WE...
- Prioritized connection in our lives
- Developed our ability to prioritize rest and joy over productivity
- Were better able to name our feelings
- Moved our bodies for the purpose of vibrancy and vitality
Lastly… do something in the first few days of the new year that represents and honors the word you chose for 2023. What a wonderful way to get the ball rolling in the direction of your intention. Enjoy and I look forward to thriving together in this New Year!
Jaimi Brooks is a licensed marriage and family therapist, women's group leader, founder of The Well Lived Woman, and creator of the Values Deck.
Connect with the WLW community by asking for or offering resources like business services, recommendations, or support of any kind.
© 2022 THE WELL LIVED WOMAN